That moment...

That moment...
Launching from Star Peak, NV

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Soaring Tam

Wanted to catch up a little on a nice flight earlier this spring. Went to Tam w Paul Gazis, meeting a few other pilots up on launch after signing in below. I'd been a couple of times before and gotten sledders.
This was a slightly snarky day-- light northish wind splitting the ridge and sometimes coming over the back. Still, it was sunny, postfrontal, and the odd cycle would straighten out the wind on B launch and most of us eventually set up.
We waited, hoping for the wind to come around west, but it never did. After one particularly long lull, during which I thought we'd seen our last launch opportunity come and go, I decided to take both balls in hand and get off the mountain.
I waited on launch quite a while. The flag high up on the ridge is a godsend- saved me from several false starts where I would have been tempted to go but could see it clearly blowing down. I was finally rewarded with a strong if slightly cross cycle, and took it.
Got some ratty lift pretty soon after launch and was working it for a few minutes when I saw Paul get off also. We were over the first knob on the way to the beach, with me maybe 300' higher. Didn't seem like a lot, especially with the rowdy air, but it made a difference. We both worked it for a while but I was making slight net gains while Paul, in the trashier air below, was slowly losing feet and eventually had to head beachward.
Eventually I climbed to cloudbase a bit over 3k where the lift got more consistent and much smoother (though not exactly silky). Phil joined me on his rigid and we benignly ruled the sky for an hour or so, surveying our realm North and South, gazing east toward the hinterlands of SF Bay and beyond.
Seemed like the northerly flow was turbulating over the ridge, and it was a matter of catching a strong cycle off launch (and a bit of luck) to get above that mess. I had heard tales of serious spankings ("most terrified I've ever been") in stronger winds of this direction, and was seeing how that could be. Got spit out of couple of doozies, but kept climbing back up.
Must admit to a touch of schadenfreude watching 5 or 6 pilots (Berkeley, I think)go off the C launch in quick succession (small launch window?) and, in equally quick succession, sink like rocks (or maybe just lemmings without wings) and scurry toward the sea.
I flew further NW over the estuary toward Bolinas and found light but very general lift--a convergence was starting, and soon I could see a long cummie-like ridge forming along the coast headed toward Drakes Bay. Pt Reyes/Drakes looked like a real possibility, but I hadn't made any XC plans and didn't know the area well enough to just go. Still and all, a gorgeous flight, and nice introduction to Tam soaring.

No comments: